MSFS in the 1950s
Small and Investing in the Future
With only 6 enrollees in the MSFS program in 1951, the program was still small but steadily developing the program to prepare graduates for the changing world. In the 1950’s, the program hosted West German students who participated in a State Department sponsored exchange program in an effort to bridge the critical alliance in business and political affairs. Additionally, the early part of the decade saw the addition of air transportation courses, as this burgeoning industry directly related to foreign relations and international trade.
By 1959, construction of the Edmond A. Walsh Memorial building had been completed. This facility would house MSFS until for the next 30 years, and is still in use today for SFS classes and beyond. President Eisenhower honored Georgetown University by joining for the dedication of the Walsh Building.